Director of Sales
The New City Grill Bistro, LLC (The City Grill) is the premier restaurant and banquet facility in Central Wisconsin. The City Grill is located adjacent to The Jefferson Street Inn in downtown Wausau, WI. Together, The City Grill and The Jefferson Street Inn provide an upscale experience in an urban boutique setting in what is described as Wausau’s “Life Style Center”.
The City Grill consists of a 100 seat fine dining establishment know for our ambiance, food, and vibe. We also have an award winning 500 seat banquet space and state-of-the-art meeting facility. The Jefferson Street Inn is a 100 Room award winning Boutique Hotel that is consistently rated number one by Trip Advisor and other industry standards.
Director of Sales – Position Description
We are looking an energetic, self-starting sales professional to add as Director of Sale to our team who will be responsible for the overall operation of the Restaurant, Banquet and Hotel’s sales activities. This individual’s emphasis is on attaining the goals of maximum revenue and profit while providing our guests with the highest level of quality service.
The Director of Sales, develops marketing plans, sales goals and forecasts and is responsible for soliciting and coordinating business on the property in accordance with the marketing plan and assigned market segments. The Director of Sales supervises, develops, and motivates the sales team and is a member of the Executive Committee.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES: Director of Sales (DOS)
The DOS works with Owner and General Manager to develop pricing and market strategies. Is knowledgeable about and monitors competition and marketplace and in general, must be prepared and able to react under fluctuating market conditions. The DOS prepares and executes annual marketing plan, assists in promotion and advertising plans covering sales, food and beverage events, hotel promotions, media relations as well as participating in multiple property campaigns.
The DOS meets or exceeds pre-determined booking goals for Weddings, meeting, events and guest room revenue; meets or exceeds budgeted costs and revenue on a monthly average with the liberty to negotiate as needed on individual functions within established guidelines yet maintaining the overall revenue goals.
The DOS is responsible for prompt handling (within the business day) of inquiry calls and monitoring the efficient flow of paperwork relative to confirming function details to the client in conjunction with staff.
The DOS compiles lists of prospective clients for use as sales leads from various sources, solicits new and repeat customers for guest room and meeting business space, maintains a client base of key accounts and conventions and determine the guest’s needs, space availability, and meeting details.
The DOS makes or supervises outside sales calls and tele-marketing and other sales techniques such as property inspections and on-site luncheons to book business.
The DOS monitors pricing, service levels, facilities and function activities at competitive facilities to ensure the City Grill remains in a competitive position. Additionally, the DOS will evaluate a potential piece of business for profitability and overall benefit to the Hotel and City Grill. The DOS will acquired knowledge with the ability to upsell clients, while promoting a level of service parallel to the premier stature of the facility.
The DOS will complete coordination of the Sales group functions; accurate and timely preparation of detailed Sales Contracts and Group Resumes as necessary to ensure a common quality understanding of what the client is to receive in terms of products and services.
The DOS will review function contracts prior to distribution to client and Event staff and will follow-up on the progress of groups booked. The DOS will generate or cause to prepare thank you notes to clients after functions with prompt follow-up of negative client feedback as necessary. The DOS will prepare weekly activity reports to include all financial booking performance and personal call reports for active solicitations performed.
The DOS will hold a daily pre-shift meeting with staff in order to be prepared for each daily activity and review any variations with management and staff. The DOS will communicate daily with department managers and Event staff to assure consistency and pass on pertinent information and consistently monitor the performance of associates on an on-going basis and provide feedback/counseling as needed.
- Maintain efficiency in the operation of the staff in a high standard of quality of service and courtesy, bringing total satisfaction to our guests and the hotel
- Conduct frequent hospitality audits to ensure the staff are conducting themselves in the manner appropriate for the department
- Promote open channels of communication between both hotel and Restaurant group
- Ensure all associates are safety conscious and trained in safe work practices
- Facilitate departmental training modules; continually monitor, evaluate, and revise training content to reflect changes in the process; address the needs identified by associates
- Accountable for the financial performance of the department with emphasis on achieving or exceeding of predetermined booking goals
- Prepare 30-60-90 Day Revenue Forecast on a monthly basis for presentation
- Holds department meetings and attends inter-departmental meetings
- Determine the requirements for and the follow up on special groups, VIPs, etc
- As needed, check banquet functions prior to guest arrival and make personal contact with client at the time of function with proper introduction of service staff who will handle the event
- Maintain active liaison with competitors regionally through personal contacts, professional and industry associations
- Be an active member of the executive committee and participate in events for team members
- Minimum 2-3 years supervisory experience
- Minimum 2-5 year’s experience in Sales Lead or Senior Sales position
- Minimum High school graduate
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have computer experience in Microsoft Word and Excel in Windows
- Must be willing to learn current computer applications
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and a clean driving record
- Will be required to work mostly day shifts Monday-Friday with some nights and weekends depending on local and property functions
- Will be required to travel to trade show and functions representing the Restaurant and hotel
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Understand the mission, vision, values, and game plan of the Restaurant and hotel and enforcement of them
- Strong leadership skills and has the ability to apply them.
- Establish goals and objectives to improve the department.
- Ability to understand Guests’ service needs.
- Ability to be well organized, maintain concentration and complete all work assigned.
- Ability to focus attention to performance of tasks despite frequent, stressful or unusual interruptions.
- Ability to converse calmly with irate Guests’, co-workers or supervisors in sometimes tense situations.
- Ability to perform job functions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work cohesively with co-workers and other departments as part of a team. Ability to build morale and spirit.
- Ability to adhere to work schedule and arrive on time in a neat and alert condition and adhere to company dress standards.
- Ability to follow all appropriate policies and procedures while constantly striving to improve all standards of operation.
- Ability to meet or exceed productivity and performance standards and complete tasks as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Ability to take and give direction.
- Ability to interact with people beyond giving and receiving instructions, particularly in resolving complaints and problems.
Send resume to gm@CityGrillBistro.com.